Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Out of context

My last blog was posted at www.thepokerforum.com, which is kind of weird because I had written it for audience of one (i.e., me; it's my poker journal). Just in case my audience increases in size, I figure it might be a good idea to tell my "poker story".

In April 2004, I convinced my wife to let me deposit money into an online poker room. I knew nothing about poker except that I enjoyed playing it. I literally began with a google search, and found Pacific Poker. I played at the play money tables for awhile and then attempted and failed to make a real money deposit.

I did not try to play online poker until later that summer when a friend mentioned that he played at Party Poker and that he could transfer $50 to my account. I lost that $50 in about a week. I had him transfer another $50 and I lost that in about a week. At this point, I figured out how to set up an IGMPAY account and I repeated this process twice more.

Finally, I decided to purchase a poker book: Phil Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros. Although most people hate this book, it was perfect for me (at that time) in that it taught me the importance of playing a tight-aggressive style. My wife let me deposit another $50 into Party with the stipulation that it be my last poker deposit ever. In fact, our agreement also includes a stipulation that she gets to keep all of my poker winnings -- so I literally play poker for fun.

Armed with just this a little bit of knowledge, I started winning at Party's $0.50/$1.00 limit hold'em tables. Within a week, I had built myself a decent bankroll. Since then I have slowly won over time, eventually playing stakes as high as $10/$20 (limit). These days, my bankroll is much smaller. I merely enjoy playing poker and I don't necessarily need the heartache of losing $500 in a day. This probably affects my poker playing as I often lose focus at the table, but I feel like I can play very well when I am properly motivated.

Strange poker facts about me: (1) I have used my poker winnings to purchase a Dyson Vacuum and a set of knives for my wife, (2) I have never cashed in a poker tournament with more than 30 people, (3) the largest pot I have ever won was $250; this happened twice, both times with JQs, (4) the largest pot that I have ever lost was $850 (i.e., $425 of my money) in a pot-limit hold'em game where I bluffed into an opponent holding 9 4 and a board of J J J 9 2 (I had KQ), and (5) I recently played with someone at Full Tilt Poker who claims that I am the worst poker player in the history of the game. Apparently, he and his friends call a bad poker move as "pulling a Frazwood".

Today's Poker Update: I have not played hardly at all today. My wife is sick and I have been babysitting all day. I have tried playing poker while holding my daughter, but she's constantly telling me to raise and it gets annoying (she's only 3 months old).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home