Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Playing like a donkey

Last night, after the kids went to bed and Kelly went out for a run, I played a long session of poker. I started out playing $50 NL hold'em, then I added a table of $2/$4 HORSE, and then I added a table of $1/$2 limit hold'em (6-max). After donking away $75 playing no limit, I quit that table and I opened up a table of $2/$4 limit hold'em (6-max) and a table of $1/$2 HORSE.

I played really well at $2/$4 HORSE, eventually winning about $40 at the table. I played like a total donkey at both $1/$2 games and I started out playing like a donkey at $2/$4 limit hold'em (getting stuck ~$50), but I eventually focused myself and grinded my way back to about even in that game.

I finished the night with just under $700 in my bankroll, which means yesterday was only a slight loss. That's disappointing because I lost about $60 from my peak, but encouraging because I had been stuck quite a bit more than that.

Basically, I am bored with $1/$2 limit hold'em and I am too aggressive right now for no limit. Mostly, I need a break from poker, but for some reason... I don't want to stop playing. I think the solution is to exercise some discipline, perhaps play only one table (or at most two tables) and increase the stakes to $2/$4. I think that my game is good enough.

In fact, I just played a short session of $2/$4 6-max hold'em (26 hands) and I won $58. It certainly helped that I was catching cards and that I had a really soft table. These guys folded to my bluffs and called all of my value-bets. Ideal!

FWIW, my bankroll is now at $752.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home