Monday, June 12, 2006

Party Poker Reload

I spent the poker portion of my weekend trying to clear the Party Poker reload bonus ($100 for 1000 raked hands). I mean that literally, because I focused more on clearing raked hands than I did playing solid poker. I initially built my stack up to +$150 for the reload, but then I became sleepy (and kept playing -- doh!) and I donked away most of that. Admittedly, I had three hands (blinds = $0.25/$0.50) that were particularly painful and expensive, otherwise I played "ok" (not great).

Hand#1: I raised to $2 from the button with Ad Kd. The big blind re-raised to $4. Although I am always scared of AA/KK here (re-raises are very rare at my tables), the re-raise was not big enough to make folding the correct play. The flop was perfect: Td 6d 2d. The big blind overbet the pot; I pushed all-in and he instantly called. The turn was a blank; the river was Tc and the $78 pot slid to my opponent, who flipped over Th Ts.

Hand#2: I raised from the button with QQ. The big blind called, as expected since this guy had a VP$IP of 75%. The flop was Tc 9s 3d. The BB checked; I made a pot-sized bet and he called. The turn was 8d. The BB checked and I pushed all-in (doh!). My opponent flipped over Jc 7c.

Hand#3: My opponent raised to $1.75 from under-the-gun. I called from the big blind with QQ. The flop was 9d 6s 5d. My opponent bet out about 1/2 the pot; I raised about the size of the pot; he called. The turn was 7c. I made a good sized bet (about $7) and he called. The river was another queen, giving me top set. I thought the chances of this guy holding an eight were rather slim, so I pushed all in and he called. He had two eights.

I don't think I played hands #2 and #3 very well, but even so... those two donkeys had to call big bets to catch an inside straight draw. The third hand was the most interesting hand of the three because of the dialogue that occurred afterwards. My opponent immediately called me a moron and an idiot. He even made a reference to me being a professor, suggesting (perhaps) that he is a reader of this blog. In the end, however, I think we broke even because he failed to fold TPTK in a hand when I flopped bottom set I enjoyed his obscenity-laden chatter -- I went into my "mad genius" persona and kept discussing his wonderful nipples and the clowns that were attempting to eat me (yes, I'm weird!).

I also had a semi-interesting session with another member of TPF during all of this (anacr1me). I don't know if he noticed me (he did not comment, which was the correct thing to do). We played maybe 30-40 hands at the same table, only butting heads in one hand (I won it when he folded to my raise on the turn). He was playing pretty tight and I was catching cards (I increased my stack from $25 to around $90 during this period).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home