Friday, June 02, 2006

My Poker Addiction

Y'all might know that I am addicted to poker. Well, not really. I am obsessive about winning and I am as competitive as anyone that I have ever met. That's slightly different than being addicted to poker, but only slightly.

This obsession is my explanation for my never-ending quest to be a winning heads-up poker player. Of all forms of poker, this would seem to be the one for which I would have the easiest time winning. I understand how the game is played; I can read hands properly; and I know how to bet. I am certainly not the best player in the world, but heads up matches against your average online poker playing donkey should give me a substantial edge.

And yet, I don't think I am a winning heads up player -- even at the lowest stakes. I have tried playing tighter, looser, more aggressive, less aggressive -- I have tried everything. And this isn't even against tough competition -- this is in the $5 + $0.25 games at Poker Stars, Full tilt, or (now) UltimateBet.

Well, folks, I think that I have finally found my winning formula. I simply need to make smaller bets. I have been playing most recently at UltimateBet, and I think that I have it. I can bet aggressively, but with bets that are the 1-3X the minimum. This allows me to put pressure on my opponents without risking too much money. They're call stations, normally, so when I have a hand, I can build and win a nice pot. When I have read that they have something (or I am on a stone-cold bluff), then I can slow down or fold without any problems at all. The structure at UltimateBet is pretty slow, so I have plenty of time to grind away at my opponents. At that, folks, is my edge: the ability to grind and grind, whereas your typical internet donkey tries to win quickly.

Since I made this discovery, I have won 3 matches and lost only one. The one match that I lost was somewhat of a fluke. I got one of those hyperaggressive opponents who pushes all-in seemingly every hand. Literally, this guy pushed all-in preflop on the first, second, fourth, and fifth hands. I limp-called on the fourth hand, flipping over my QQ to his KTo. The flop came AK4, though, and I did not improve on the turn or river. Oh well, it wasn't grinding, but I'll take those odds any day of the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home