Monday, May 01, 2006

Party Poker Reload X 2, Part I

I am not sure if it was a glitch or intentional, but I signed up for two Party Poker Reload bonuses yesteday, each worth $100 and each requiring 1000 raked hands to be played in the next ten days. I've decided to clear the first 1000 hands (at least) playing $25 NL (6-max).

One of my biggest leaks as a poker player is playing too many tables and playing on "autopilot". I play the correct hands from the correct position preflop and then I bet according to the strength of my hand. BUT: I don't consider what my opponent has; I just play my hand. This is a huge leak and I know that I need to stop it. The obvious solution is to play only one table, which is not a great idea for clearing 2000 hands in ten days.

So, I began my bonus chase by playing a 300 hand session in which I played three tables simultaneously. Oops. I lost $32. To make amends, I played four tables during my second session (another 300 hands) and I lost another $23. I played better in the second session until I went on tilt. I had been about +$10, but then I lost a big pot. I then tilted away another $20 before I quit the session.

What a great way to start my bonus chase! I was stuck $55 after clearing only 350 raked hands!

After calming down and considering my play, I made a couple of changes in my game plan. I realized that my opponents were loose-passive, so I needed to be more tight-aggressive. I would raise a little bit more preflop and make my continuation bets a little bigger too. I had noticed that a lot of my opponents were chasing their hands because I was making it a "good price" (though not justified).

(I also decided to play at most two tables)

In my third session, now playing a single table, I won $20 in less than 50 hands. Apparently, my game plan was a legitimate improvement. I then played a few more short sessions, during which I was totally card-dead, and I leaked a few dollars away. Since then, I have played three more sessions during which time I have clawed my way back to even for the bonus chase (actually, I'm -$0.56).

During these last few sessions, I have had numerous interesting hands -- I'll just talk about the good ones. I have caught four-of-a-kind at least four times (during 300 hands). One time was when I pushed all-in preflop with QQ (with two callers: AA and TT), so that was both lucky and profitable. I also caught quads on my last hand, which was also profitable. I raised (4x) from UTG with 99; the big blind called. The flop was 9 9 3. My opponent checked and I did also. The turn was a blank and I bet out after my opponent checked; he check-raised; I took my time, but then merely called. The river was a beautiful three, which caused the villain to push all-in and flip over Q3o (powerful hand that it is).

To summarize, I have played 1053 hands so far (624 raked), netting a loss of $0.56.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home