Friday, April 07, 2006

Limit Holdem Re-revisted

For the last six months, I have almost exclusively played no limit hold'em. I was addicted to the seemingly endless opporunities for a big score. Why grind it out playing limit when I can punish the fish for more money?

The problem with this flawed logic, of course, is that I make mistakes too; also, fish often catch their two-outer and suck-out. My mistakes and their suck-outs were usually very very costly. Then I'd go on tilt and lose even more money. I have promised myself numerous times that I would give up no limit, only to find myself playing it again during my next session.

I have not played much poker in the last three or four weeks. Poker has not interested me because I have not been winning. It turns out that I am addicted to winning, not poker.

During my "off" time, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the game and the way that I play it. The most basic fundamental theory of winning poker is to play tight aggressive. Wait patiently until you get a good hand and then bet it aggressively. I think I do a reasonably good job of playing tight-aggressive preflop. However, after thinking about it, I am a really loose-aggressive player post-flop. Thus, I identified a big leak in my game to plug.

Almost casually, I also started exclusively playing limit hold'em again. I feel like limit hold'em is a grinder's game and my short-term goal was to re-learn how to grind it out.

I have made a few mistakes along the way, but right now I am doing very well grinding away at low limit hold'em. I have ventured well above my bankroll to play as high as $2/$4 and I have luckily won at those stakes. Based on my recent succes playing limit hold'em and Omaha 8b, I don't think that I'll be playing NLHE for awhile -- at least until my next session!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home