Monday, March 27, 2006

Omaha 8/b

In my last post, I discussed my boredom with hold'em and my desire to play other games. I had started playing some 7stud and a little Omaha 8/b. I have played a lot of 7stud in the past, and I would guess that I am a winning player overall at the game. I have little experience playing Omaha 8/b. But what a game!

I think Omaha 8/b might be my new favorite game. I have been playing the pot limit version, which is quite subtle. In this game, you are inevitably faced with draws and other similar tough decisions. As a result, you have balance building a pot, protecting your hand, and bluffing.

I am still a novice at this game, but it's been entirely profitable. And when I say that I am a novice, I mean that I am still misreading hands, making horrible calls, etc. Luckily, most of my opponents are even worse and it's been quite good for my bankroll.

Right now, I am incredibly proud of a hand that I played last night. I can't remember the specific details, but the turn put a 3-flush on the board. I held the ace of spades as well as top pair, meaning that I held two important cards in the hand, but essentially had nothing. I checked it to the button, who made a pot-sized bet. Figuring that I held a couple of the scariest cards, he likely was bluffing, using his position. So, I check-raised him and he folded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home