Monday, April 17, 2006

Party Poker Reload, Part I

I hate to confess this, but I have been seriously considering quitting poker recently. I don't play as much as I used to play, but even then... I am not focused or determined to win. I don't have the discipline to grind and I don't really care if I win or lose. This apathetic attitude shows in my results: I will play well for awhile, build my stack, lose focus, and then drop back to where I started. For now, at least, I have decided to continue playing -- but I am definitely going to cut back on the hours even more. I am not longer going to play "hours not results" but rather "when I feel like it".

This past weekend brought the Party Poker reload. I am chasing a $100 bonus for playing 1000 raked hands. I feel like I should work on my limit game, and I'd like to think that I could grind if I needed to do so. I have decided, therefore, to chase my bonus playing exclusively full-ring $0.50/$1.00 limit hold'em. Based on my past experience, only about half of the hands are raked at these stakes. So, I need to play about 2000 total hands to clear my bonus. I'll be playing it in short sessions of 100-200 hands each, usually 3-tabling.

As of noon on Monday, I have cleared about 500 raked hands and I have netted a profit of about $10 so far. My play has been mediocre at best; I still have my problem of being loose-aggressive post-flop and that has hurt me. I need to work on that. I am also surprised at how tough these tables have been. There are very few very weak players -- either the wildy aggressive types or the complete call station types (VP$IP > 50%). If nothing else, this experiment of mine has taught me to respect my opponents even at these low stakes. Party Poker no longer seems like an ocean of fish to me.

I'll report back again once I have cleared the entire bonus -- I'll post my stats and some of my other opinions about the LHE game at Party Poker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home