Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Poker Share

Pokersourceonline (PSO) recently removed one of their promotions (The Gaming Club) and replaced it with a new promotion (Poker Share). I was quite excited about this because I had recently completed my The Gaming Club promotion and this gave me a new opportunity to clear a PSO promotion and to get another $75 Target gift certificate for my wife. Hardly exciting I know, but these are the things that make me happy. So be it.

Poker Share used to be an UltimateBet skin, but they essentially closed down when UltimateBet decided to prevent Poker Share from signing on customers in North America. Poker Share has returned, but its no longer associated with UltimateBet. I don't know the full story, but I'm sure that you can find it somewhere in the vast internet.

Poker Share is currently offering a 100% sign-up bonus (up to $300). To clear the bonus, you must accumulate 10x frequent player points (FPPs) per $1 of bonus. I initially deposited only $50 so that I would clear the Poker Share bonus at the same time that I cleared the PSO promotion (500 FPPs).

My first plan was to play $20 NL (blinds = $0.10/$0.20) to clear the promotion. After playing about 200 hands, I was +$20 but I had only cleared 15 FPPs or so. So, I decided to start playing $50 NL on my ridiculously short bankroll. This bad idea became a really bad idea when I donked away my entire Poker Share bankroll in about 80 hands. To be fair, I was dealt one hellacious bad beat that then sent me on tilt.

Because everyone loves bad beat stories... I was dealt AA in the big blind. The entire table limped, so I pushed all-in, hoping someone would think that I was stealing and play table sheriff. This plan worked great when the guy in the first-position called and flipped over 4d 5c. The plan went to hell when the flop landed 6 7 8 and I was essentially drawing dead.

The next day I re-bought for $50 and I played reasonably well but the cards were just stacked against me. I played poorly at times also, in part because of more bad beats. The worst was when I pushed all-in preflop with AA and got called by A2s... and lost.

Eventually, I decided to re-buy for a semi-legitimate amount ($200) so that I would not feel so pressured. Since then, I have slowly won back my money and I am currently +$20 for this site, having cleared about 60% of the PSO promotion.

I feel compelled to give a short review of Poker Share. I actually like this site a reasonable amount, but it's nothing special. The software runs well and the games play well. There is a little quirk when you deposit money: you actually have to go to a second step to transfer it to your poker account (I am a little worried about the cashout, but I'll find out about that later). The traffic is rather low and most of the players are from Europe, so the times for peak play are different than many sites. Most of the traffic plays short-handed no limit hold'em, so I suggest that you look elsewhere if you want to play full-ring limit hold'em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home