Friday, June 09, 2006

Full Contact Poker + Party Poker Reload

In my last blog entry, I mentioned that I had opened an account at Full Contact Poker, attempting to take advantage of their sign-up bonus. Their cashier system is a little strange, so although I deposited $300 into my FCP account, I only transferred $100 into my poker account. Essentially, this made me feel like I was playing on a short bankroll, even though I was not.

Because of my "short bankroll", I started playing $0.50/$1.00 limit hold'em, full ring. I did very well at first, winning about $35 in my first session. I then played some short-handed $50 NL, donking away most of my profit. After that, I went on tilt, and lost the remainder of my profit and I was even stuck a few dollars. Even after quitting for the night, I continued to play poorly at FCP. I slowly lost about $80 playing $25 NL, $1/$2 five card draw, and $0.50/$1.00 full ring limit hold'em.

Eventually, I decided that I needed to get my act in gear and play for a little bit higher stakes (I was having difficulty taking the lower stakes serious enough to win). So, last night, I transferred all of my bankroll into my FCP poker account, and decided to play a single table of 6-max $50 NLHE.

Unfortunately, there are not very many 6-max tables available at FCP (most of the tables are 5-max), so I signed up for the waiting list. I noticed that there was a seat available in a $100 NL, 6-max table. Like the brain surgeon that I am, I bought in ($50), promising myself to play ultra-tight. I carefully watched the playing style of the people at my table and they were awful! They were pushing all-in with middle pair and getting called by top pair, weak kicker. In short, it was as juicy of a table as I have ever seen.

I won a few small pots, building my stack to about $60. Eventually, I had my "big hand". It was folded to the cut-off, who limped. I then raised (4x) from the button with KQs; the blinds folded and the cut-off called. The flop was a good one for me: K 9 2 (rainbow). The CO checked; I bet out, about 75% the size of the pot. The CO then check-raised me. Normally, I would say folding here was the correct play, but these donkeys were playing so crazy that I felt that there was a good chance that I had the better hand. So, I pushed all-in. I was immediately worried when he called, but then feeling better when a queen came on the turn, giving me top two pair (hoping that he did not flop a set). Regardless, when the river blanked, the pot was slid to me. I checked the hand history, and my donkey opponent held K3o.

Soon after, I quit that table because my spot had opened at the $50 NLHE table. I played only two orbits, but I doubled up when I flopped a set and someone pushed all-in with TPTK. In short, I played about 30 hands, winning $90 or so. I am now +$9 at FCP. The only bad news is that I have barely cleared any of the bonus. I am considering quitting the site because the bonus clears so slowly.

In other bonus-whoring news, Party Poker announced their reload yesterday. So, I deposited $500 to get a $100 bonus, requiring 1000 raked hands. After losing an all-in in my first orbit, I have played very well and gotten good cards. I am currently +$68 after playing 228 hands (29 PTBB/100 hands).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home