Thursday, August 25, 2005

Sometimes... it is easy

I haven't played alot the last two days -- by my standards at least. But when I played, I played well and I caught cards. And perhaps more importantly, I was playing against donkeys who either bet too little (and let me catch my card for cheap) or bet too much (and made a nice donation to my bankroll).

For an example of the former, you merely have to look at my previous post where I caught a royal flush. The donk didn't four-bet before the flop and he merely called me on the flop. He finally raised on the turn, but by that time... I had the pot odds to call. Oops.

For an example of the latter, I will describe the last "big hand" that I played at Party Poker (6max, $3/$6). I was on the big blind with AJs. A couple of people limped, so I checked... hoping to catch a nice flop. Otherwise, it's an easy hand to fold, especially out of position. The flop was awesome, AJ5, giving me two-pair, although there was a flush draw. So, I played it aggressively and the donk in the small blind allowed me to cap it. The turn was another ace, my money card, giving me the nuts. I checked and the donk had hit "raise any". I perhaps made a mistake here and merely called, rather than raise. The river was another five, actually another good card for me (you'll see why). I check-raised the river and I was surprised that the donk re-raised me (and I happily capped it). He flipped over AQ, for aces full of fives. Of course, I had aces full of jacks. Now, this is an awful play on his part. There is no way I play the hand this way with anything other than an ace. So, at best, this guy is going to split the pot. Sadly, for him, I had the jack, and I took down a big pot. I netted a profit of 8 big blinds from this session of a mere 14 hands.

I really had a good day at Full Tilt too. It was so good, in fact, that I cashed out $260 (my "bonus"), even though I haven't actually cleared all of that bonus yet. My stack there is now $160, so I'm going to have to rebuild. I am starting to realize that I play much better when my bankroll is a little tight, so I see this as a positive thing.

My next plan is to build my bankroll to $1200 at Party and to cash out $200. I really want to get myself into the mindset of playing poker for money, rather than for the challenge (my original reason). Besides, we want to get a new vacuum cleaner (fun, huh?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home