Saturday, August 20, 2005

What an awful session! Oh wait...

I just put in a 90 minutes session where I played six tables (2 at Party, 2 at FTP, 1 at Stars, and 1 at UB). After about 87 minutes of this, I had my blog semi-written in my head in which I would complain about playing reasonably well but getting an overdose of cold cards and bad beats. I took Barry Greenstein's advice, which is not to try to get even... but to merely try and recover a fraction of the loss. And in my last ten hands or so... that's what I did.

I was down as much as $75 at Party, but then I won a couple of nice pots on one table... and then I won 2 hands on my last orbit on the other. In the end, I lost less than one big bet. Not bad.

My worst session was definitely at UB. I would flop top pair... catch trips on the turn... get beat by a full house. I lost $20 of my $25 buy-in. My stack there had looked like it was going to be respectable, but now it is back to being less than $100 again.

I played well at Stars, but this was a major case of cold cards. For whatever reason, it seems like I always catch cold cards at Stars. I literally did not win a single pot in my first 74 hands. I eventually did win a small pot, but then I lost some of that when I lost my last hand when I raised from UTG with AKo but did not improve. I pretty much lost the minimum on that hand, so I am not complaining.

I actually had a profitable session at Full Tilt. I was grinding to perfection there, although I had one suck-out that is still bugging me (see below).

One "move" that I tried today was to play KK slowly from the small blind. This is not the best move in all situations, but I think that it's a good one.

The first time, there were 4 or 5 limpers before it got to me. If I raised here, then I would get everyone to call and I would be giving everyone the proper odds to chase their straights. It would also allow me to dump it cheaply if an ace flopped (in this situation, at least one or two of these donkeys is playing an ace). I caught a good flop, so I check-raised. I like the check-raise here to build a pot moreso than to thin the field. In the end, it worked nicely as only two other people saw the turn. When I bet out, one of them folded and the other guy went all-in (this is limit... he was short-stacked). Unfortunately, an ace hit on the river and he won the pot. Grr. This certainly classifies as a semi-bad beat. I played it well, though, so I am happy.

The second time, everyone folded to the button who raised. I figured that he was on a blind steal, but he was not a maniac... so I figured he had something decent (at least two paints). So, I figured that I'd just call, and again check-raise on the flop. The flop came jack-high and my check-raise got the big blind to fold and got me heads up. Unfortunately, another jack came on the river and I lost the hand when he flipped over AJs. Grrr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home