Tuesday, August 16, 2005

After promising myself that I was done for the day...

After "quitting" last night, I went upstairs to watch television with Kelly, unfortunately, she was asleep. I rubbed her feet for awhile but quickly got bored, so I went back downstairs to tinker around (i.e., play cards). I decided to play at Poker Stars since I had not played there at all yesterday.

I bought into a $0.50/$1.00 6-max room and quickly lost a couple of pots. It amazes me how many people at these tables try to be "tricky". Usually, it just costs them bets, although I am sure that it makes them feel powerful and smart. It's amazing how many times I'll bet the flop and turn, but then check the river to see someone turn over a set or two pair. Oops, you should have bet somewhere in there! Anyway, I lost a big hand when I had AK, caught an ace on the turn, but ran into a set of queens. This guy at least remembered to raise me on the turn.

After that, I grinded away, pounding at the weaker players and grinded my way back to even. Considering my normally awful luck playing the 6-max tables, I had decided to quit (with a $0.50 profit!) when I caught AcJc (UTG+1). I couldn't turn this down, so I raised and I got four callers (four! wtf?). Anyway, the flop was 7c8c9c. So, I had a strong hand but I was vulnerable if the board paired and there were also straight flush possibilities. I decided to play it fast to avoid a bad beat. Luckily, the donkey to my right kept raising me. Eventually, I took the pot down; my opponent turned over Kc5c. That's right boys and girls, though shall not call a raise with K5s! I netted a $9 profit for the session.

After calming down last night, I realized that I had a decent night of cards. It certainly could have been better (or much worse). I finished with a $18 profit on all sites combined. One thing that I have done is set up a spreadsheet so that I can track my bankroll at the four sites that I play. It'll be interesting if I have the discipline to keep using it, especially once I hit a bad stretch.

The other interesting thing that I read yesterday was an interesting system for playing full table no limit games. I might try it today at the $25 NL room at Party Poker. It is supposedly really boring but very effective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home