Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Professor, the Banker, and Full Tilt

I finished Barry Greenstein's book last night. It was interesting and different than any other poker book that I've ever read... but still it seemed like a waste of $20 for me. I already understand the concepts of lifestyle and money management very well. It was still a neat book so I recommend it to virtually anyone who plays poker.

That book finished, I started on "The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King". This book is pretty boring so far, but we'll see. It chronicles the Andy Beal story, who is a rich banker but poker novice (at least when he started) who challenged (and I think beat) alot of well-known poker professionals. Hopefully, the story picks up. The book is not particularly well-written so far.

While doing all of that, I managed to play some at Full Tilt. I played a little no limit yesterday afternoon and netted a nice win. So, I played some more last night after birthing class. Oops. I lost my entire buy-in when my KTo when up against KQs. Doh!

After that, I played $0.50/$1.00 limit . In my first 30 hands, I made some over-aggressive moves and got hit with a couple of bad beats. At this point, I was stuck $40 (or so) for the night. That's not that big of a deal, but my bankroll at Full Tilt was only $105 (ouch). After that, I tightened up and played alot better. I won some small pots and I had recovered to a reasonable loss for the night.

Finally, I won a huge pot when I was dealt JJ on the button. There were two limpers in front of me and I raised. Everyone called, including the big blind. The flop was Q J 2. The big blind bet and everyone called; so, I raised. Unfortunately, the big blind re-raised and the other two folded. The turn was a blank and the big blind bet out and I raised and he re-raised. I just called, thinking that I had the best hand. The only hand that beat me was QQ and I didn't think that he had that; he would have re-raised me preflop from the big blind, right?. I was thinking QJ. Anyway, we four bet the river and he flipped over two ducks. Set over set is brutal, but I like it when I'm on the good side of it. In the end, my limit session was slightly profitable.

I am not in the mood to work this morning. I had planned on fly fishing, but Kelly bailed on me at the last minute. So, my tentative plan is to go tomorrow with her. We'll have to see if she bails on me again. I am doing a bit of service work while playing $0.50/$1.00 limit in the background (Full Tilt). So far, I'm up $7. My stack at Full Tilt is $95.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home