Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A decent day of poker

For whatever reason, the poker gods smiled upon me yesterday. I either didn't get a heavy dose of bad beats or I was blessed with the patience to endure them. Probably, the latter...

I played a bunch of no limit (6-max and full ring) and I did pretty well on the whole. I also played a bunch of 6-max $2/$4 (FTP) and $3/$6 (PP) limit. I am reasonably sure that I had profitable sessions at all of these. My FTP bankroll is once again over $300 and my PP bankroll is somewhere around $1050. So yeah, I don't have the bankroll to play these games. Play is really soft, though, so it's soooo hard to turn down. I say that, but I know that sooner or later variance is going to kick me in the butt.

My session last night at FTP was one that I am proud of. I started playing $2/$4 full ring. I lost about $45 in the session, principally because I hardly got any cards. I also had a bad hand where I raised preflop with 77 and got three callers. I flopped a set, but the donkey to my left caught runner runner for a straight with her Q9o. Grrr. She was literally playing every hand, often raising with J8o and crap like that. And man was she catching cards... she was up $120 in about 20 hands. Because she was to my left, and because there were 7 other people waiting for her downfall, I decided to move on because this was not a good spot for me.

So, I moved to a $2/$4 6-max table. Here, I played really really well. I won my first hand, winning back about half of my losses for the night. I then lost all of that back a couple of hands later when I played AJs poorly against the only other decent player at the table (QQ). After that, I focused on the 4 donkeys at the table and attacking them. I won a few pots; I lost a few pots. I had grinded my way up a little when I was dealt AA on the button. Donkey#1 raised from UTG, donkey#2 called, good player folded, I re-raised, blinds folded, donkey#1 capped, and donkey#2 called. This was shaping up to be a big pot, so I was happy with my AA. The flop was pretty benign for AA, and it got capped. The turn put a possible straight on the board, though. Donkeys#1 and #2 checked, I bet, donkey#1 folded, and donkey#2 raised!. I three-bet and he called. The river was an ace. Donkey#2 came out firing and I raised and he called. He flipped over Q9o, which was good for Q-high! Thanks for the extra bet on the end dude, but did you really think your unimproved Q9o was good enough? I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out his play, and the only thing that I could figure was that he tried to semi-bluff a straight draw on the turn.

In the end, that hand got me back to even for the night at FTP (plus a small profit, < 1 BB). So I went to bed a happy and content man.

Today's fun: trout fishing in Wisconsin! Should be fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home