Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Poker is a fickle, fickle game

I have been reflecting alot about my poker game lately. In general, if I play well, then I win. If I play bad, then I lose. I have been playing both bad and good lately, so my bankroll has been bouncing up and down. There are the occasional suck-outs, but my game is good enough to accommodate them. My game is not good enough, however, to handle the bad beats putting me on tilt. My bankroll at FTP, for example, is about $40 light because of a single heads up game where I lost a bunch in like 30 hands. Granted, alot of that happened when my KK got cracked by J8o. It was an aggressive game and he thought his top pair was good... and then he caught a jack on the river to take down a $35 pot.

Yesterday, I promised that I would stop playing so loose-aggressive when I first entered a table. Yep, good idea... didn't work. My second hand today at $3/$6 6-max limit involved me losing a big pot when I pushed with middle pair versus a 3-flush. Oops, yes... the donkey in the big blind will call a raise with 23s. Doh! I broke another cardinal rule of limit poker in that I called a raise on the turn with only a pair. Doh! Doh!

I quote Homer (Simpson): A fool and his money are soon departed. I'd pay someone alot of money to explain that to me.

The good news is... I am actually winning so far today. My bankroll at FTP is above $300 again (albeit aided by some bonus cash) and I am up almost $40 (for now) at the $3/$6 6-max table at Party. I think that I can make some serious cash at these 6-max tables if I can not let the bad beats bother mean and I can play well consistently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home