Thursday, August 25, 2005

Brown Trout!

After work yesterday, I made the short drive over to Wisconsin to try some fly fishing. I have had virtually no success fly fishing to date and I have only caught 5 trout in my life (2 brook, 2 rainbow, and 1 lake trout). We immediately started fly fishing and that seemed to not be very productive. So, I made a few casts with a Mepps' spinner and caught small brown trout. My first! So, I can scratch yet another species of fish off of my list of fish that I would like to catch. At this point, I don't know how many more are left. Maybe I'll write about that someday.

I did not play much poker yesterday, but I won every session that I played except the first one. That was a no limit session when I busted out in 40 hands (6-max). The last hand was donkey vs. donkey. I raised from UTG with JKs, and only the button called. The flop was a bunch of rags but it gave me a flush draw. I was already short-stacked, so I pushed all in and I got called. He flipped over A2o (pair of twos). That was an amazing call for soooo many reasons. Anyway, I didn't improve and I was out.

After that, I switched over to a $2/$4 6-max limit table, and I won it all back. The key point was when the same donkey from the no limit table followed me to the limit table. The key hand of the session was when I raised from the button with KK and the same donkey called with A2s. I bet the flop and he called (he had an inside straight draw). He check-raised the turn when I caught a set; I three-bet it. The river was a queen, and the betting was capped. So, I flipped over my set of kings and he revealed his ace-high. Amazing!

I played a bunch of smaller sessions after that, all of which were profitable. My net for the day was somewhere around $75. There is probably a lesson to be learned here that shorter, more focused, fewer table-sessions are better than what I have been doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home