Sunday, January 22, 2006

Swimming with the Fishes

I continue to pursue Party's reload bonus. Prior to yesterday, I had played strictly $50 NL (6-max) and I had been winning at a nice rate.

Yesterday, my wife had to work, leaving me to take care of our daughter. She's an "easy" baby, so that left me plenty of time to play cards. Unfortunately, it didn't give me enough time to focus carefully on everything going on at the table, so I played $0.50/$1.00 LHE instead. The play at these tables was brutally bad and I matched them donkey move for donkey move during the first 75 hands. This got me stuck about $15. I started playing better and eventually got back to even, actually winning $0.50 for about 300 hands of play. Stellar poker, I know.

After my wife returned, I played for about 30 minutes at the $50 NL (two tabling). My third hand, I was dealt QQ on the button. I made a good raise, which was called by the big blind. The flop came ten-high and I made another bet, which was called. The turn was a blank and I got check-raised, after which I pushed all-in because I was essentially pot-committed at this point. The river was another ten, and he too the pot with his AT.

Here is where it got weird. I then typed in "nice catch donkey" and another guy at the table started spewing all sorts of obnoxious comments at me. I kind of egged him on a bit, I must admit, but I said nothing profane or offensive. Next thing I know, he starts talking about all sorts of things that should be done to my wife. Things that usually involve tribunals investigating war crimes (seriously nasty stuff). I don't offend easily, but this guy crossed a line. I actually reported him to Party Poker support.

Anyway, so I was stuck $25 (I usually buy-in for half of the maximum) before my session really even started. After that, I started grinding away and building both of my stacks slowly. I had maybe $35 in my other room when I was dealt AA under-the-gun.

Here is where I really don't like playing short-handed tables. I am out of position with a great hand; I'd love to limp and trap someone who raises from late position. This is much more likely to happen in a full-ring game, so usually I raise in short-handed games with AA from UTG and I take down a small pot. This time, however, I merely limped, promising myself that I'd play VERY carefully after the flop. I got very lucky, however, as the cutoff raised and was called by the button and the big blind. I then had to figure out how much to re-raise. I figured that if I pushed all-in that all three of them would fold and I'd win a small pot. I decided that I'd be happy with that result, so I pushed all-in. I got very lucky when the button called with his TT and he did not improve. So, in this rather short session, I went from -$25 to +$25. Variance is fun!

Late last night I had another short session where I found myself at a crazy table. I kept getting raised and re-raised all-in. I played very tight, one time folding TT on a board that was eight-high (my opponent flashed AA). I picked one spot to call when I raised with AK from the button and got re-raised by the big blind (I called). The flop was Kc 7c X. My opponent made a pot-sized bet and I pushed all-in. He started typing about how stupid it was to push with a flush draw (I guess he was hoping I'd tell him something about my hand) and then called with AJ (no clubs). I am sure that I could have made a good chunk of money at this table, but I was tired so I just went to bed.

By the way, now that this blog is being cross-posted at TPF, please feel free to e-mail me comments, criticisms, or questions to frazwood@yahoo.com. If it's a legitimate message, I'll respond via e-mail, or if it's interesting enough... via my blog (you'll remain anonymous in the blog).

Edit: I just finished clearing the Party reload bonus. While clearing the bonus, I ran ridiculously good and had some ridiculous stats:
$50 NL: 1040 hands, +$296, 28.5 PTBB/100 hands
$25 NL: 54 hands, +$13.30, 49.3 PTBB/100 hands
$0.50/$1.00: 373 hands, +$0.50, +0.1 BB/100 hands

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home