Sunday, January 29, 2006

Random, bad thoughts

My run of bad poker continues, although I think my run of bad luck is over. After playing great last weekend, I feel like a complete donkey right now when it comes to no limit. It's as if I have amnesia. Seriously, I had a game plan last week. I would play certain cards, a certain way, from a certain position. This week, I can't even remember what that game plan was.

It's definitely time to take a break from no limit. Although I was playing no limit last weekend, I really feel like limit hold'em is my best game. To me, limit is more of a mathematical game where you must play your cards correctly according to the math. Math is certainly one of my strengths.

With that in mind, I bought into a $3/$6 limit (6-max) game on Friday. I played great and I doubled my buy-in VERY quickly. I quit quickly too, but that was pre-planned (I only had about 30 minutes to play). I played a little more on Friday night ($1/$2 limit), but I had no focus at all. I literally spent most of the session surfing the internet, trying to find songs to sing to my daughter (On top of spaghetti...).

Yesterday, I started playing heads-up SNGs at Stars again. My stack there was somewhere around $8 (I donked it all away playing no limit earlier in the week), so I had to win my first one or I'd have to redeposit. I won my first four and I eventually built my stack up near $35. This is all inconsequentual, of course, but at least I got the feeling of winning. My stack right now sits at $25 after I lost a $10+0.50 SNG last night when my opponent hit a one-outer on the river. I had J9 and flopped top pair. He pushed on the river (nine of clubs) and I called with my two pair. He held 99.

I also played about 150 hands of $3/$6 limit (6-max) and this time I played as if I were on tilt the entire time. Perhaps it was because I was playinig above my bankroll, but I was stressed and tense the entire session. I think most people play timid in these situations, but I play like a maniac. As a result, I lost a bunch, almost the size of my win from Friday.

Last night, I played some full-ring $2/$4 limit. I played like a complete donkey for about 75 hands, losing somewhere around $75. For whatever reason, I simply did not care about the money or playing correctly.

Eventually, though, I forced myself to focus and I won a few key pots. In one, I limped from late position with Jc Qc and I won a 4-way pot when the flop came Q-high with two clubs. The third club didn't come, which was good because I was against someone chasing the nut flush.

I then won another big pot against a donkey who held 22 and played it like they were aces. I had Ad Jd and the flop was Jc Xd Xd, giving me TPTK plus the nut flush draw. The turn brought another jack, and the donkey re-raised me until he was all in. The river was a blank and I finished that hand up $5 for the session. I quit soon after that, glad to have recovered my loss.

I write this blog to help me mentally process my poker play. While writing this particular entry, I've developed my game plan for the next few sessions. First, I am comfortable playing $2/$4 limit, so I think I'll play that. Second, I need to get my confidence back, so I am going to play more heads up SNGs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home