Thursday, October 27, 2005

Making some progress

A strange thing has been happening to me... I have been winning! Sure, I am playing low stakes no limit hold'em, but winning is winning. Part of my success is undoubtedly due to my use of Pokertracker. Pokertracker has done two things: (1) it is helped me self-analyze myself, and (2) it allows me to identify the weakest players at the table, allowing me to develop a better plan of attack.

I have definitely learned that I am way too aggressive. I need to tone things down a bit and I need to learn to let go of hands easier. Part of my problem is that I feel like I need to attack the short-handed tables, but I am attacking far too aggressively.

Anyway, I have been primarily playing 6-max ($25) NL at Party, plus full ring no limit at Stars and Full Tilt (blinds = $0.05/$0.10). I am doing really well at Stars and Full Tilt, averaging somewhere around 10 big bets per 100 hands. Sure, it is low stakes, but I am building confidence in my game and I am building my bankroll too. My bankroll at each of these sites is really poor right now. I have not been as successful at Party because I keep falling victim to "the hand" where I lose my entire stack by pushing in a bad spot. After castigating myself, I have always been able to calm down, play solid poker and win it all back (or almost all of it). But still, breaking even is not winning and I want to win.

I also escaped from perhaps a BIG mistake last night when I sat down for a $1/$2 (6-max) limit game at UltimateBet. These tables were CRAZY aggressive and I fell victim to some ridiculous suck outs early on. For example, I raised with QQ, got re-raised, and I capped. The flop came jack-high... so I bet it aggressively and I kept getting raised. The dude then caught runner runner diamonds to make a flush (he has 67s). I eventually figured things out a bit and tried to isolate myself against the maniac preflop. After that, I knew I had an edge because I was generally playing better hands. At one point, I was down $10 (I brought $50 to the room) and I was dealt 33 on the button. I limped as did the small blind; the maniac raised (big blind) and we both called. The flop was a dream flop: 2 2 3. I got all of my money in the middle and more than doubled my stack. I ended the session with two scary hands. I was dealt KK both times and both times the flops came down ace-high. Both times my opponents had smaller pocket pairs from the big blind and called to the river with them. I netted a win of $1.50 plus I cleared some bonus money. I think it'll be awhile before I risk that again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home