Friday, June 03, 2005

Back to no limit!

I played almost exclusively no limit last night at Party Poker. I did play a little at Poker Stars, managing to lose a decent chunk of my stack. My stack there is now down to $50, which is sad because it was once $250. It's time to sink back to the $0.25/$0.50 tables there.

My no limit experience was interesting to say the least. The best part and worst part of no limit is that you don't have leaks, you have gaping holes. My big no limit flaw is my inability to fold a decent (not great) hand. For example, I raise from the button with AK, a limper and the big blind call. The flop comes down A J T, with a flush draw. The big bling checks, the limper goes all-in and I call. I figure that the limper has JT, but I call anyway. Unfortunately, the big blind also calls. My read here was correct; the limper had JT, and the big blind had a flush draw. The big blind won the hand when I got two pair, which completed his flush. I misplayed a couple of other hands, all resulting in either splitting large pots or me losing my stack.

Despite these bad plays, I would almost always grind my way back to even. This gives me hope, because I feel like I can beat these no limit tables right now. I merely need to plug a few holes and I'm there. One of the solutions that I have been considering is to buy in for only 50% of the maximum buy-in. This will cut my risk in half, but not drastically affect my win potential. My game plan is controlled and tight-aggressive, so I win alot of small pots but very few big pots (obviously, big pots are more difficult to win).

I tried this idea out earlier today, playing the $50 NL 6-max at Party Poker, buying in for only $25. Ironically, I doubled up on the first orbit when my KK went all-in against JJ pre-flop. I played the hand really well... UTG raise 6 times the BB, so I figured that he had a hand, but not one that he wanted alot of action. So, I re-raised all-in. I really didn't want a call, but he did. I was very unhappy to see an ace on the turn, but no jack came. I continued to play well, and didn't make any stupid mistakes.

Right now, I am passively (i.e., doing something else too) playing 7stud at Poker Stars. There is a total fish at the table who likes to raise every time that he catches an ace. It is almost comical. Hopefully, I can beat this table and grind my way up to a decent bankroll there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home