Sunday, April 24, 2005

Aggression

I feel like my game right now is in top form. I have tightened up some of my leaks and I am pushing my big hands hard. I played about 100 hands yesterday at Party Poker (6-max, $1/$2) and I won about $25. It could have been much much more.

There was a VERY weak player at my table who managed to go on a rush at my expense. She was at about $20 when it started and built her stack up to $80. These were nasty bad beats too. In one, I was dealt QQ; the flop would be Q J 3; the turn would be K; and the river would be an A. The fish then turned over T8 for the nut straight.

Despite the suck-outs, I kept my cool and I was about even after 60 hands when this fish finally busted out. Unfortunately, being even with this fish at the table was a major disappointment. After she left, the table was filled with mediocre players who I could easily beat over the long-term if I played well. And so, that's what I did. I played tight-aggressive, using position to my advantage whenever possible. I really like playing short-handed because I think position is soooo important and most mediocre players don't get this concept. So, I think it gives me a bigger advantage than a full-ring game.

The rest of the day I spent playing at Poker Stars, which strangely was working great from home (it usually doesn't). I played almost exclusively $0.25/$0.50 stakes, although I mixed it up between stud and hold'em. I simply love the structure of the stud at Poker Stars! It is soooo much better than Party Poker. I will definitely be playing more stud at Poker Stars in the future!

This morning I went into work to catch up on a few things and I multi-tasked by playing some $0.50/$1.00 hold'em. My stack was probably a little short for this game (starting at $82... I did well yesterday), but I figured that I was at the top of my game and it wouldn't kill me to lose $25. Needless to say, I won two big pots my first two hands and built my stack from $25 to $40 immediately. I picked up KK three hands later and I was up $20 with the first orbit!

As I write this, I am re-learning another important lesson about patience. My in-room stack is currently $48.25, which I was somewhat frustrated because I felt like I was simply treading water. I reality, I am up 4 big bets since then (~90 hands), which is a great win rate! Well, I'm on my last orbit now, and then it's time to head home. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home