Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Something I noticed from reading my own blog

I've spent a considerable amount of time self-evaluating my poker game and I'm trying to figure out where I've been going wrong. I don't really think that I've been getting cold cards, although I'm generally not someone who passes blame elsewhere. Besides, I've gotten cold cards before and I managed to lose the minimum, so I know what that's like.

Anyway, I read through my blog and specifically focused on the part where I won $50 in two hours playing $2/4 limit and $1/$2 limit simultaneously. I recall thinking that this was a nice, modest win and perhaps a start to bigger and better things. Upon re-analyzing it, however, I realized that this was a HUGE win and that lately my eyes have been bigger than my stomach, so to speak. Let's take the standard "win one big bet an hour" as a baseline for my expectations. Assuming that online games play twice as fast as brick-and-mortar games, that translates to two big bets an hour. Continuing with the math, a "good" win rate playing these games would be $4 x 2 x 2 hours + $2 x 2 x 2 hours = $24! I made about double a reasonable expectation! What a fool I am!

More importantly, I realized that I needed to grind more and be patient. I've had numerous sessions where I've had accumulated a decent amount of chips, got impatient, which led to fancy play syndrome, and then I pissed away alot of money. No more! (or until next time my ego gets inflated!)

After realizing all of this, I played much much more patient last night at Party Poker. I won somewhere on the order of $20 in 90 minutes, and that even included some serious suck-out action at the $2/$4 table (on the receiving end, not the giving end). More importantly, I remembered to be happy about winning $20 and thus confidence in my game is soaring.

On another note, I entered a $5+0.50 sit-and-go at Poker Stars (much slower structure than Party Poker) and I won! My stack there is now more than $190... I am less than $10 from my cash-out goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home