Wednesday, April 20, 2005

A good day of poker

Needless to say, I had a good day of poker yesterday. It certainly involved some luck, but I played well also. I think that I am back to my best game; I've been grinding away at both Party Poker and at Poker Stars. I have a few leaks that I still need to tighten up, but I know where they are.

I posted two incredible hands immediately after they happened. The second hand (the one from Party Poker) was for a pot size of 33BB's. I've never seen a pot that big in limit poker. It helped that it involved two fish. The first played 69o out of position in a raised pot pre-flop, caught a non-nut straight and played it really aggressively on the river even though there was a three-flush, paired board. The second fish also raised on the river with his nut-flush with a paired board. In the end, I got a little lucky in that the perfect river card hit, but I played the hand well.... aggressive pre-flop (best hand), aggressive on the flop (best hand), less aggressive on the turn (not the best hand, but I had outs), and aggressive on the river (best hand). The amazing thing is that the guy with 69o started whining about getting rivered after the hand. About three hands after this one, I picked up TT and played another big pot with a guy on tilt who raised every opportunity with 9-high. Prior to the big hand, I was stuck about $40... by the time I quit the table (playing only ~20 hands), I had won $100.

After all of this, I decided that I really wanted to work on grinding so started playing $0.5/$1.0 limit and a 30-player MTT ($5+1). I grinded well in the limit game and I ended up about even (no cards). I played really well in the MTT until it got down to 4-5 handed, where I became tired (bed time!) and I had to pee. So, I became a little too aggressive because I wanted out of the tournament, win or lose. In the end, I took down third. Up to that point, I played an almost perfect tournament, although it helped that I had no bad beats.

To summarize, I added $120 to my Party Poker stack. If not for the hand where my AA got beat by 24o, then I would have had a fantastic day at Poker Stars too. As it was, I added $20 to my stack there, which is a great day playing mostly $0.25/$0.50.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home