Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A little poker and finding old friends on the internet

A quick poker update: I got killed last night at the full-ring $2/$4 limit tables. I honestly received cold cards for the first 40 hands at $2/$4, and I folded them all like a good boy. I then came down with fancy play syndrome and I lost about $90 at the table (with bad cards). Oops. So much for playing better.

I did quite well at the $1/$2 room, so my net loss for the night was somewhere around $50. I really don't feel that bad about it, although I am seriously considering playing only $1/$2 6-handed tonight. A got a little anxious yesterday and cashed out $100 from Poker Stars even though I only had $195 in my account. Of course, I have been losing ever since and my account is now about $75. No worries.

Other news...

While at work yesterday, I came across a paper written by someone with whom I went to grad school. I was good friends with her sister... so I did a google search for her. It turns out that she's currently attending grad school somewhere in Illinois. So, I e-mailed her to just say "hello" and I got a response saying that she was actually in Minnesota for the week. Wow, small world. So, we're going to lunch today... we'll have to see how it goes. I haven't seen her in at least 8 years (wow, that makes me feel old).

Based on this success, I decided to do a bunch of google searches last night on other long, lost friends. Now, I've always claimed that I went to high school with the world's smartest people and that I was "the dumb kid in class". I don't think Kelly (my wife) has ever really believed me... but last night I proved it to her. Of the first 5 or 6 names I tried, one is a member of the faculty at the University of Washington's medical school, another is a neurological surgeon at Ohio State University, and another is a professor at a school in Virginia. For those of you keeping score, that's 4 doctorates (including me) and none of us have reached our mid-30's in age. The only person we could find from Kelly's list was someone who had shot a 12-point buck. That's also impressive, but in a different kind of way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home