Saturday, April 16, 2005

Drowning

I feel like I'm drowning, professionally and poker-wise. Luckily, my personal life is good. Thinking back over the last ten years, my personal life has usually sucked, whereas my professional life has been good. The reverse is better as long as I don't get fired.

It looks like I am going to be making two trips to Quetico Provincial Park this summer. I can't wait for the first trip -- Memorial Day Weekend. I hope to catch my first lake trout ever. The second one has no firm date yet, but we're thinking mid-July to mid-August. The plan for that trip is to do alot of paddling, so I am quite excited about that one too. I hope to see Jean Lake for the first time in my life.

The poker lately has been awful. I really need to avoid no limit until I learn to fold. I played some $1/$2 limit tonight and just got killed by JJ. Three times I flopped a good hand (TPTK twice and once the absolute nut flush -- the board paired on the turn) only to have JJ beat me. The one time I get dealt JJ, I am up against QQ and I lose. So, I was stuck about $40 in that game and I decided to play a little $100 No Limit, promising myself that I wouldn't do anything crazy... You know like raise under-the-gun with AK, and re-re-raise all-in in a 3-way pot? I did flop an ace on the hand, which was good enough to be second best (my opponents had QQ and AA). The funny thing is that even the guy with QQ was yelling at me for that play. Hell, I was just trying to steal his pre-flop bet. He called two all-in bets with QQ and actually ended up with the third best hand. The guy with AA played the hand beautifully, I must admit.

After that, I did what every sensible poker player (an oxymoron) would do... I bought into a 6-handed game of $5/$10 limit hold em. Sure, after losing that all-in, my bankroll is down to $650... but what the hell? Luckily, I bought into a wonderful table filled with moronic aggressive types (i.e., as opposed to skilled aggressive types -- avoid these people) and loose-passive types. I won $100 in less than 20 hands. So, I recovered my no limit all-in and basically I am stuck the $40 from the first table I played. No biggie.

I had similar problems playing no limit at Poker Stars today. Crap. That stack was almost $100 at one point, but by the end of the day... it was somewhere near $50. I think I might start playing $0.25/$0.50 limit there.

I'm feeling like I should take a break from poker. I'm not playing well and I'm not all that interested in the game while I play. Certainly, I am not enjoying losing either.

Goodnight to anyone who is bothering to read this. I am going to head upstairs now to sleep next my wife and our unborn child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home