Friday, December 22, 2006

The Good Side of Variance

As I've chronicled lately, I've been playing well but catching numerous bad beats. Well, that's variance.

Between yesterday and today, though, the other side of variance has caught up to me in a big big way. I've been playing some heads-up no limit and doing really well. I'm generally out-playing my opponents. Even better, however, is when I make a big mistake... I've managed to outdraw my opponents. Life is grand!

It's strange, but I have a much better memory for the bad beats imposed onto me rather than the ones that I dish out. Even so, I remember this hand because it was the most recent one and because it involved a HORRIBLE read by me.

I'm playing $25 NL and I have about $12 in my stack. I haven't been playing very well during the session; I'm actually down $13 after pushing all-in with top pair, weak kicker and not outdrawing my opponent who had slow-played AA.

During the suck-out hand, the guy under-the-gun raises to $3 (i.e., 12x the big blind), which I usually view as a tell. The guy who does this usually has a weak hand that he doesn't know how to play and he wants to simply steal the blinds. So, I push all-in with AKo. Everyone else folds and my opponent flips over AA. Lucky for me, the flop comes K T K and I double up. Like I said, I have been enjoying the good side of variance lately.

In other news, my Chris Ferguson experiment is going really well. I've built my stack at UltimateBet from $0.46 to its current high of $3.77! I played one really bad hand with 2c3c from the small blind, otherwise I'd have close to $5. I posted a thread about the hand at www.thepokerforum.com, where I eventually figured out my mistake on the hand.

The really curious thing was that one guy there started explaining poker to me as if I had never played before. He even started his own thread to warn off other players from playing trash hands from the small blind (http://www.thepokerforum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003258) in which he goes on to explain the concept of pot odds and implied pots odds to me as if I can barely spell. Certainly, trash hands need to be played carefully from the small blind, but it's a profitable play if done correctly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Fraz, I am a big fan of reading your blogs on thepokerforum.com. How do you get your blogs posted there? Also, please come and check out my blog at http://pokertachi.blogspot.com.

10:54 PM  
Blogger frazwood said...

Thanks Alan...

My blogs are posted at thepokerforum.com because they asked for my permission to cross-post my blogs about a year ago... I am not sure why they asked...

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home