Thursday, August 03, 2006

Poker in the North Woods

I am spending this week in northern Minnesota, mostly working but also playing a little. It's strange being in such a rustic area with wireless internet.

My poker has mostly been playing a minimum number of hands so that I can earn extra Party Points. This afternoon, however, I have a little extra free time, so I decided to play $5/$10 limit hold (6-max) at Party Poker. I must admit to being a little gun-shy, especially after losing $250 in my last session at this game.

The session started off great; I won about $60 against a guy that I had pegged as a total call station. But then things went south: I lost a big hand to the call station when he caught a runner runner straight. I then lost another hand to one of the better players at the table. Suddenly, I was stuck $70 and my confidence was gone and I was seriously considering the possibility of losing another buy-in. Luckily, though, I then got hit by the deck.

I was dealt J4s in the big blind. When the guy to my left raised, I had planned on folding, but then 3 people called, giving me too good of a price to fold. The flop was 4 4 5 and I won a big hand against the initial raiser who held QQ.

The next time I was in the big blind, I was dealt J8o; here again, the guy to my left raised. Although I was planning to fold, three peopple called so I called also. The flop came T 9 7 (rainbow) and I won another big pot.

The next time I was in the big blind, I was dealt AA and the preflop betting had already been capped by the time it came around to me. Yep, I won another big pot. The very next hand, I was dealt AA and again I won another big pot.

Poker is so easy when the cards are this good. In this short session (~60 hands), I won more than 36 big bets. That certainly compensates me nicely for losing my buy-in last time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home