Thursday, August 10, 2006

Getting Comfortable

I have been almost exclusively been playing $5/$10 limit hold'em lately. I've also played a little $100 NL and a few heads up SNGs at Full Tilt (more later).

The really cool thing about playing $5/$10 limit is that I am getting very comfortable with the game. When I first started playing a few weeks ago, I was a little tense and this caused me to be a little too aggressive, especially at first. So, most sessions I would immediately find myself stuck $50-$100 before I settled in, played my game, and started to grind my way back to the black.

But now, I am feel comfortable playing. I am finding that my sessions don't involve the initial loss, so I am winning more often. And if I can catch a big hand or two, then I can usually net a nice win for the session (most of my sessions are short: I don't have hours of time to play... more like 30 minutes at most).

I had a fun session yesterday at Full Contact Poker. Apparently, I had been playing a few hands slightly crazy. Things like raising from the button with K9s, nothing totally out of line, but nothing to indicate that I am a rock (which, to be honest, I am a total rock. Think granite!!). I bet the hands aggressively, especially if I caught a piece of the flop or at least a draw. Anyway, a guy at the table kept calling me an idiot, which I merely encouraged with my chat in return.

Then came the "big hand" when I was dealt AA on the button. There was a limper in front of me, so I raised. The table-captain re-raised from the big blind (probably trying to isolate me, thinking I held trash) and the limper called also; I capped and the three of saw the flop. It was a good flop for me: 9 9 6. I figured that the big blind likely did not hold a nine (more likely TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AK, or AQ)... I was a little worried about the limper. After some betting on the flop... the turn was a blank and the limper folded (I was happy to see this). The turn got capped, which was nice for my wallet. The river was another ace, giving me aces-full. The big blind bet out and called my raised, typing "you chased and caught that ace didn't you?". I merely stated "something like that" and raked in a nice pot.

I have noticed that my playing style has changed quite a bit these days. First, I am not nearly so aggressive. Most of my opponents these days are somewhere between aggressive and too aggressive, so I don't need to be as aggressive to build nice pots. Second, I am defending my blinds far more often than I ever have before. Again, many of my opponents are very aggressive, so I am very likely to call from the big blind with a reasonable hand, and if it's a heads-up hand... I am likely to call through the river if I catch a piece of the flop (again, many of my opponents are too aggressive). Third, I am trying to see as many flops as possible with drawing hands. For example, if UTG raises and gets two or three callers, then I am also going to call from the big blind with almost any hand, especially if it's suited. There is nothing better than flopping trips with 85o against someone who holds KK.

Anyway, my experiment at playing higher stakes is going really really well. I've done well playing $100 NL too, although I am probably going to give that up because the $5/$10 limit is going so well. Since starting to play higher stakes, I think I am +$2000 or so, which is a huge win rate for me.

Finally, I have been playing a few HORSE heads-up SNGs at Full Tilt Poker. So far, I am undefeated! In fact, I have dominated EVERY match so far. My goal is to finish the hold'em about even and then to dominate once the game switches. I have had only one match last as long as the 7stud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home