Monday, February 13, 2006

A Busy Weekend with a Little Poker Mixed In

We had a big family function this weekend, so our relatives were visiting. There's nothing like 10-12 visitors to cut down on your poker time.

Even so, I managed to play a bit. I played some heads up poker at UltimateBet on Friday night. I lost $25 playing limit and then I lost another $25 playing no limit. Perhaps I am not ready to play legitimate opponents in heads up matches.

On Saturday afternoon, I played and won a heads up SNG match at Full Tilt. I used the money from that to buy into a HORSE SNG, which I won. It was my second ever attempt at a HORSE SNG, last time I bubbled.

Even though I have never played Razz or Stud Hi/Lo, I felt like I had a huge advantage over my opponents in those games. Perhaps they have spent all of their time playing hold em. At least I have read a bit about how to play some of the other games.

After that, I played in a 6-max NLHE SNG, and I bubbled when I pushed a short-stack (33) against the other short stack preflop (he held A8). I flopped a set but my opponent caught runner-runner for a straight.

I then bubbled in another HORSE SNG when my opponent and I pushed all-in on sixth street (Stud high). I had three sevens; he had three pairs (aces up). The winner of the hand would be the new chip leader while the loser was going to be crippled or out. Unfortunately, he caught on the end and filled up. Oh well.

I played another HORSE SNG late yesterday, and I took second. I played pretty well, although I made a big mistake in a Razz hand where I definitely had my opponent beat but I merely called (instead of raised) on the end. By the time it reached heads up, I was down 5:1 in chips and there was little that I could do.

So far I am enjoying playing low stakes without really caring if I am winning or not. I have rebuilt a semi-decent bankroll at Party these days, certainly enough to play $25 NL as long as I am not reckless. I am also excited about playing HORSE SNGs at Full Tilt, although I won't have many opportunities to play them because I rarely have 90 consecutive minutes to play cards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home