Saturday, February 04, 2006

Starting Over

I have decided that I am going to start over with poker. I used to enjoy playing and that is now my lone goal: to enjoy playing poker. What do I enjoy about poker? I enjoy the challenge, thinking hands through, and winning. I don't really care about winning large sums of money, which has been my problem lately.

I have decided not to redeposit any of my money back into my poker accounts (well, sort of). I have withdrawn about 90% of my bankroll and I am giving it to my wife, ensuring that I'll never see it again. Although this might sound strange, I feel really good doing this. It's nice to see a payoff from all of my time spent playing poker, rather than merely accumulating bankroll so that I can play higher stakes. My bankroll these days is still high enough to play low limits (maybe as high as $1/$2 limit), but that's about it.

The other decision that I've made is to have a single bankroll, rather than separate bankrolls at each site. This was a weird quirk of mine, but I am giving it up. This separate bankroll thing just made me unhappy. I could have a great day, winning $200 at Party but be annoyed because I lost $25 at Ultimatebet and $25 at Full Tilt. No more.

I played a little at Party last night, winning about $5. Not very exciting, but I enjoyed myself. I also played a few sit-n-goes at Full Tilt, including one of their HORSE tournaments. I had never played Razz or Stud Eight or Better, so it was a challenge. I eventually finished fourth. I then played another SNG, and again finished fourth. So I bubbled twice, who cares? I had a good time.

I played a little more today, winning a heads up SNG at Stars. That was a fun one. I had $5.50 in my account and I bought in for $5.25. Now that's a short bankroll! I made a bad call at one point and I was down 2850 vs 150, with the blinds at 15-30. I doubled up twice to get to around 600, and then I outplayed my opponent after that to win.

While doing playing that heads up SNG, I had a $25 PL game going at Party. I bought in for $10 and finished the session with almost $20. I originally grinded my way up to $15, but lost about $5 when I played a hand poorly. Then I doubled up when I raised from the button with Ad Td. The flop gave me a double-belly buster (8 J Q) and a back door flush draw. It was checked to me and I bet, but then I got check-raised (I called). The turn was another diamond. I called with my draws when my opponent forced me all-in. Luckily, another diamond hit and I took it down.

Although this is all for really minor amounts of money, I am feeling really good about poker now. I need to remember that I am a recreational player, albeit a rather good one, and that I play for fun, not money. The money I win is simply not worth it if I am not having fun. Life is too short!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home