Friday, December 16, 2005

An update on my game

My poker had been bad lately. I had two interesting sessions last weekend that really helped me identify my major leak right now: TILT!!!

I was playing $0.50/$1.00 limit at UltimateBet and grinding my way up. I had won $10 in about 70 hands. I got dealt 99 in the small blind and limped in along with 4 other people. The flop was A J 9 (rainbow). I checked and it got bet, raised, and then I three-bet it, getting me heads up with the original raiser. The turn was an ace. I bet and got raised and I 3bet it and he capped. I check-called the river and he flipped over A9 for a better full house. I played the hand perfectly, but for some reason this put me on tilt. I then proceeded to dump $20 over the next 30 hands or so. I had a similar session like this at a 6-max $1/$2 table at Party (I'll leave out the details).

The sad thing about all of this is that I used to have excellent tilt control. So, this is my new goal: control my TILT button.

I actually did a good job of this earlier today. I played a $1/$2 6-max table and I was playing well. My goal for the session (more later) was to win $10. I limped from UTG with 22, got raised and called. The flopped was J 3 2 (two hearts), so I check-raised. The turn was 4c. I bet; he called. The river was 5d and I check-called. My opponent flipped over Ac 9d. I then had a similar hand against an aggressive opponent who flopped middle pair and then caught trips on the turn. Crap! But, I maintained my cool and built my way back to a $4 win for the session.

In addition to Tilt control, I have also decided that I am not focused enough at the table. To help with this, I have a new plan of attack. First, I will play at Party ($25 NL, $50 NL, or $1/$2 limit) until I win $10 or lose $20. Next, I will play at Poker Stars ($0.05/$0.10 NL) until I win $5 or lose $5 (I need to build my bankroll here). I will then play at either UltimateBet ($0.50/$1.00 limit) or Full Tilt (whatever game I feel like for now) until I get sick of playing. I think this will help me regain my focus and rebuild some of my dwindling bankrolls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home