Sunday, December 11, 2005

Flush draws, inside straight draws, and donks... Oh my!

Party offered me a reload bonus where I could get $100 cleared at 10X raked hands. Fair enough. I played a bunch of $0.50/$1.00 limit hold'em and I managed to donk off a little bit of money. Next, I played some no limit and kind of worked my way back to even. Yesterday morning, I two-tabled $2/$4 hold'em and I lost about $40. This is all really bad considering my short bankroll at the moment. The limit session was terrible; I'd have a guy dominated while he was chasing an inside straight draw... but catch runner-runner to beat me with a flush. I was very frustrated to say the least.

Last night, however, I had a bit of a discovery. I first donked off $12.50 at $25 NL by being stupid. Then, I got smart and opened a single table of $50 NL and I won $10 pretty quick. After some household chores, I did the same thing. It is amazing how much better I play if I slow down and think each hand through. It also helps to observe how other people are playing. This is all obvious stuff, but sometimes I get too caught up in playing 4-6 tables that I forget all of this stuff.

Today, I have been playing a single table of $0.50/$1.00 limit simply to clear raked hands while I work. I have done well so far, winning about $20 in 200 hands. Here again, thinking the hands through seems to be working well. I've made some nice bluffs and some nice folds. The "big hand" so far was KQo. There was a loose-limper ahead of me, so I raised and got two cold callers plus the original limper. The flop was Q 9 7. The limper bet; I re-raised; he 3bet; and I called (one other caller). The turn was another Q. The limper bet; I raised; he 3bet; and I called. The river was a 7. He bet; I raised; he re-raised; and I called. I was genuinely worried that he had Q9. Luckily, though, he had 9 7 and he had played the turn horribly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home