Sunday, September 11, 2005

More bad poker and then finally something to smile about

Today was another really bad day of poker. I am very frustrated at my losing and I am sure that is making matters worse. The wins are too small and the bad beats are too bad. I am sure that all of this is making me play worse. I'll sit at a table and watch donkey-move after donkey-move, but somehow I can't seem to beat these people.

I bought into a $3/$6 6-max room today and managed to lose $150 in like 50 hands. I then bought into a $1/$2 6-max room and did reasonably well, until the suck-outs started. I literally lost two big hands to J8o. Suddenly, that is the new sexy hand of choice for donkeys everywhere.

After figuratively pulling my hair out, I decided to try seven card stud. For whatever reason, I decided to play at Party where the structure is absolutely awful. But, my bankrolls at Stars and at FTP are very low and I really didn't want to play at either place. Also, I recall winning at the $1/$2 6-max stud game that Party offers.

Oh Nirvana! This game was so incredibly soft it boggles the mind. The players are absolutely perfect: weak-passive. For a game like hold'em, the weak passives give me trouble because I have a tendency to be too aggressive. In 7stud, however, I can see four of their cards, so I can usually read their hands pretty well. Also, I was playing only one table (7stud is tough to multi-table), so I was able to identify the good players versus the targets. Most of the time, I saw no good players!

My 7stud stats so far have been a net profit of $115 in only 206 hands, for a ridiculously unsustainable win rate of 28 big bets per 100 hands.

I also bought into a $0.50/$1.00 limit hold'em room at FTP, even though my bankroll was a pathetic $37. My first hand I was dealt JJ and I flopped a set against 4 opponents. There was a possible straight, however, so I played it slowly until the river when the board paired. It was capped on the river by some donkey who was bluffing his straight draw that he missed. There's nothing like taking down a 20 big bet pot with a full boat against king-high! A few hands later, I was dealt JJ again but I lost the hand when one guy flopped a set and another guy caught the nut-flush on the river. Another 10 hands or so after that, I again was dealt JJ and I won another big pot against the donkey from my first JJ hand. The flop came queen high and he capped the turn and river with a pair of queens, two kicker. Nice hand, but I caught a set on the turn. I won another small pot with TT that was folded on the turn. In the end, I won $16 at FTP in about 45 hands, pushing my stack north of $50. My short term plan there is to clear the last $20 of my original deposit bonus and to re-deposit to take advantage of their reload bonus. I'd really like to grind my stack back up again, but my recent bad play has made that virtually impossible.

The baby is still not here, but that damn Dyson vacuum is still awesome. I alternate between playing poker and cleaning something. We've collected maybe 30 pounds of cat hair so far. There is also a bunch of this fine, fluffy stuff that I can only imagine is dead cells from both us and the cats.

Oh, I suppose I should comment on the victorious Fighting Irish from the University of Notre Dame. The win against Michigan was a great one for sure, but I am not all that optimistic about their chances for big-time success this year. First, they have not shown the ability to play well in the second half. The offense looked scared and/or tired the entire second half. The improved defense was a surprise and they earned the win rather than the offense. Second, and most importantly, the schedule is ridiculously difficult. If they avoid a let-down next week against Michigan St, then they have to go to Purdue. Tough game. After that, they get USC and Tennessee. Those games are at home but the third best team in the country might go 0-2 against those two.

Anyway, I am very happy that the Irish look so good. This team looks like the best Irish unit since Holtz's last year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home