Monday, July 11, 2005

I was just trying to win $7

One trick that I like to use when playing poker is to set short term goals. The goal usually depends on the game that I am playing. If I am playing limit, for example, then I'll usually set a goal to play 200 hands or something like that. If I am playing no limit, then I'll set a goal to earn an amount of money equal to my buy-in. Lately I have been buying in to $50 NL rooms with $25. So, my interim goal is to win another $25. Make sense? If not, just keep reading...

I had been playing no limit for awhile and I had my stack up to $693, only $7 from my goal of reaching $700. I was on the big blind (why do so many of my big hands involve me being in the big blind?) and I was dealt KK. There were two limpers plus the small blind in the hand, so I decided to overbet the pot by raising it to $4. This is a move that I've been using lately -- that is, overbetting my really strong hands... it looks like a steal and I usually get some action. I got one caller. The flop was K64 (two spades). Keeping with my theme of appearing to be "stealing", I pushed all-in. I flopped the nuts, but I was vulnerable to straights and flushes. Somewhat surprisingly, my opponent called. I filled up on the river, so I had no worries... but it turned out that my opponent had 66. I was quite excited... this hand put me well over $700.

I kept playing, however. I don't like to leave immediately after busting a guy. It's just bad manners. About two orbits later, I get dealt KK under-the-gun. I had decided prior to this hand that I wanted to quit. I was hoping to avoid a showdown so that I could quit. So, again, I overbet the pot and raised it to $4. The same guy that I busted before was the only caller. The flop was a Q 7 2 (rainbow), so I made a pot-sized bet, which he called. Hmmm. At this point, I figure that I might be beat, so I was thinking that I should try to just get out of this hand with more than $700 (remember, I was just trying to win $7). The turn was a beautiful king. So, I pushed all-in and my opponent flipped over 22. That's right, I caught set over set twice against the same person in 15 hands!

I played two or three more orbits after that, mostly trying not to lose. I won a decent sized pot with AK when I caught a King on the turn. After trying to win $7 to reach $700, I finished the session with a stack at $748. Wow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home