Saturday, July 09, 2005

A "live" game

Kelly and I looked at a day care yesterday, then I played some at Party Poker until it was time to go home. I lost $50 doing stupid things but then won it all back when I tripled up in a hand where I had KK vs. top pair vs. a flush draw.

The big deal yesterday, however, was the poker game over at my department head's house. Walking into this room is kind of like Mike walking into the judge's game in Rounders, although I am apparently not that good of a player because I managed to lose. The play in this game is just awful, and the worst part is that I played at their level for a good part of the night (hence, I lost $13). Part of the problem is that I was cold-decked for the first hour or two. I had one decent hand that I failed to bet because I was pissed off and I wanted to check-raise. Sadly, no one bet and I took down a small pot.

After that, I got really really pissed off and I started doing wacky shit like playing hands blind and raising regardless of what I had. Needless to say, it didn't work. At one point we took a break, which helped me because I took the opportunity to rededicate myself to playing well. I was stuck $26 at this point, which is not much but I had only brought $35. So, I tightened up considerably and I waited until I had strong hands, which I bet VERY aggressively. As a result, I grinded my way back to even, but I didn't win another hand after that. It was about 20% antes and then a hand where my set of 2's were beat by a set of 4's.

Perhaps the most interesting thing of the night is that I introduced the gang to Omaha, which they learned really quickly and liked alot. Most of them like the idea of getting "good cards" so Omaha is a great game for that since virtually every hand is a flush, straight, etc. I originally picked the game because I thought I'd have the biggest advantage, but one guy raised every pot preflop (blind) and it cut back my advantage. I probably should have played hold 'em where a tight-aggressive style is better (I think, in Omaha, that a loose-passive preflop style is a good idea).

I am currently finishing up a quick session at Party and Stars. I won like $5 at Party after being down $10-15 for a long time. I was dealt AA and flopped a set... and a donkey called my smallish bets with middle pair... until I went all-in. My stack at Party is at a recent high -- just under $650. I played some NLHE and 7stud at Stars too... and won $17! Shit, I didn't realize it was that high. I guess I won ~$6 playing NLHE and ~$11 at 7stud. I played the stud great, waiting until I had a good hand in good position before I attacked. I have not been playing great 7stud lately, I'd like to improve that. My stack at Stars is now $117! Awesome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home