Friday, July 08, 2005

An all-time suck out

After a good day on Wednesday, I wanted to continue building my bankroll on Thursday. I did really well on Wednesday playing 7stud at Stars, so I first gave that a try. Big mistake. I had a series of hands that were incredibly frustrating. I would start with a pair of aces and not improve and lose to a weak two pair. I would be dealt (44)A and bet everyone out except one donkey, who picked up a pair of fives on his seventh card to beat me (wtf?). Anyway, I lost a bunch doing that. I then played some limit hold 'em ($0.50/$1.00) and lost some more. Basically, I lost $20 and my stack was back down to $80 by the evening.

I started the night's session by two-tabling a $5+$0.50 NLHE sit-n-go and a $0.10/$0.25 (blinds) NLHE 6-max table. For whatever reason, I felt really patient in the tourney, but really anxious with the open table. Eventually I calmed down and grinded out a $2 win at the open table.

The Sit-n-Go was a bunch of fun. There were a couple of donkeys that busted out in the first orbit. I played great, grinding away and slowly built my stack. I easily made the final four, without any difficulty at all. At this point in the tourney, my opponents became really conservative and made it very difficult to make any progress. The donkey to my left kept pushing all in with weak hands, but sucked out on me twice (A7 vs AT and AJ vs KT). I am not sure whether I was impatient or what, but a little later I pushed a hand and got lucky. I raised from the button with 3c3s and the BB called. The flop came ten-high (two clubs) and I pushed all-in when the BB checked it to me. He flipped over TT. The turn and river were both clubs, though, and I took down a pot that I did not deserve. After that, I cruised to the final two (about even in chips). I completely dominated my opponent, to the point where he even admitted that I was going to win -- this was after he sucked out on me (AJ vs. A7, all-in preflop) to take a 4:1 chip lead. Well, needless to say... he was right. I totally dominated this guy.

After winning my third sit-n-go in four tries, I played a little more no limit at the open tables. I quickly won $10 or so, and my stack ended the night at $100 (or so).

I played a little at Party Poker yesterday also. In my third orbit, I made a big preflop raised from the BB with QQ and got one caller. The flop was T94 and I pushed all-in. My opponent turned over 99 and I lost my buy-in. After that, I grinded my way back to about even.... eventually bringing my stack there to about $600.

So, my goal for yesterday was not to regress. It took alot of work, but I eventually broke even at Poker Stars and I won about $15 at Party. Not a great day, but I didn't go backwards so I am happy. Right now, I think my NL game is in peak condition and I am playing the Stars sit-n-goes fantastically. Tonight, I play in a live game with the professors. The last two times, I was the big big winner for the night. Very few of these guys know how to play and it's pretty easy pickens. Considering that I need to work with these people, I sometimes go easy on them (I never check-raise or anything like that).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home