Friday, July 08, 2005

Some random thoughts

I am starting to come to the realization that alot of online players are really really bad -- especially at no limit. Well, duh.

Most online players (and real life players too) have an incredible tell... if you act strong, you're weak... and if you act weak, then you are strong.

It can be extremely profitable to do the opposite. For example, I just tripled up with KK. I was UTG+1 and the UTG limped. I raised to 6x the big blind (overbetting... showing "weakness") and I got THREE callers (yep, count 'em... 3!). The flop came down Jh Th 6c. The SB bet out $5, UTG called, and I pushed all-in. Both the SB and UTG called. WTF? The SB had top pair and UTG had the nut flush draw. Neither improved and I took it down.

Another example was this morning. I was dealt KK in the small blind. Everyone folded it to me and I raised it to 4x the big blind. Again, this seems strong so he read me for "weak". The flop came ace-high, so I made a pot-sized bet and I got called. I figured that I was beat here, so I checked. The BB also checked. The river was a blank, and I checked. The BB then made a bet that was twice the size of the pot. Again, he's claiming to be STRONG, so he must be weak, right? So, I called. He had an unimproved 86o. WTF? What is he doing calling any of my bets. The ironic thing is that he should have just folded the BB to me and have been done with it. Even if I am stealing, that is not a hand to defend with. But I digress... why did I call his big bet on the river? Because if he had an actual hand, he would have made a reasonable bet... and I probably would have folded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home