Sunday, July 10, 2005

A day where nothing went wrong

You ever have one of those days in poker where nothing goes wrong? Sure, they're outnumbered at least ten to one by those days where nothing ever goes right, but they do happen. Yesterday was one of those days for me.

I played a little NLHE at Party Poker and I built my stack to ~$650. I think I described this already, so I won't bother.

I spent the rest of the day playing at Poker Stars with just a little UltimateBet thrown in for fun. I played either $0.05/$0.10 NLHE at Stars or $0.50/$1.00 7stud. I played my usual NLHE game and I am sure that the day was profitable there. I did lose a buy-in late last night when I was tired and not in the mood to be bluffed. I made tremendous progress playing 7stud... it was amazing. I was winning most of my pots and I had built my stack at Stars to about $130 by dinner time. After watching a movie (Hitch... it's funny in a one-liner kind of way) and played some more. I was grinding again (and tired... I did alot of yard work yesterday in the heat... yes, it actually gets hot in Minnesota... humid and mid-90's for temps). I was then dealt (AA) A! Most interestingly, the bring-in was to my left so I acted last, and 6 people limped in before it came to me. I raised and 5 people called. Someone paired their door card (actually giving him trip 8's), and I raised the max and 3 people called. This was building to be a huge pot. On 5th street, I bet out again and got raised by the other guy, who was re-raised by the trip 8's guy, and I capped it. On 6th street, Trip 8's bet, I called, the other donkey raised and we all called. On seventh street, it was checked to the donkey and we both called. I took down a 29 BB pot with my trip aces. I am glad that trip 8's didn't improve. The donkey in the hand was way way way overbetting two pair (jacks up! WTF?). How do you bet two pair against a guy representing an ace (I should have at least two pair, right?) and a guy who has paired his door card (representing trip 8's? They invented the word "donkey" with this guy in mind.

The other interesting story... was at UltimateBet. For some reason, I wanted to play short-handed limit HE yesterday and I did want to play at Party (my primary site) because I didn't want to muck up my winning streak there. I also didn't want to play at Stars, because I have a history of getting killed there at 6-max limit HE. So, I played at UltimateBet where my bankroll was short for $0.50/$1.00 limit, but what the hell, right? My table was FULL of donkeys and I was able to win $23 in less than 15 hands! I can vaguely remember three hands. One I was dealt KK and an ace never came and I had three callers to the river (big pot). I won a smallish pot with JJ when aces came on the flop and river, but no one had an ace. I won a big pot with AQ against two donkeys who called to the river with A (weaker kicker). That was it. I played for 5 minutes and doubled my buy-in. Amazing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home