Monday, July 11, 2005

An experiment at $100 NL

After having a really good night last night, I quickly pissed away most of my earnings at lunch today. I made a stupid bluff and a bad call and I lost two buy-ins.

Curiously, I decided that playing for higher stakes would be a better idea than simply going back to grinding. So, I bought in for $50 into a $100 NL room. I immediately noticed a huge difference in the overall aggressiveness of the game. I really didn't mind this, much, since my game plan was to pick my spots and take advantage of the other players' mistakes.

I wanted to play very cautious to figure out who I could take advantage of. In my third hand, I was dealt 66 but folded to a preflop raise. Sadly the flop came down 6 6 X. Even worse, the other two players started betting like crazy. I would have at least doubled up on that hand. After that, I quickly identified one poor player at the table.

I eventually doubled up with a weakish hand against the fish. I quickly left the table, having recovered by losses for the day.

I then bought into a $50 NL room, where I quickly doubled up when I flopped the nut-flush draw against a guy with a lesser flush draw. I caught a pair of aces on the turn and then called when he went all-in on the river after I checked it to him. It just felt like a bluff based on the way he played the hand.

Sadly, I have just lost $20 at UltimateBet. Every bluff I make gets called and every good hand I have gets cracked. For example, QQ vs. J5 and the flop comes J 5 5. Crap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home