Sunday, August 05, 2007

Busted but back in the game

This will mostly be a poker blog entry. After making a nice profit playing capped $0.05/$0.10 NLHE, I went on a serious downswing caused by suck-out after suck-out. In the end, I went bust.

About a week later, I reloaded with $100, representing the last $100 in my fictitious Neteller account. I promised myself to play at the proper level for my bankroll and I have done that for the most part. I've played $0.25/$0.50 limit hold'em and various no/pot limit games at the $0.05/$0.10 level. I've played poorly in spots, well in others. Yesterday, I started playing heads up $5 + 0.25 SNGs and I played really really well. My stack is now at $123 (I started the day at $80), although I won a $10 Horse SNG at the very end last night.

The really good news is that I played focused and well yesterday. I have not played that well for that long in at least six months, if not a year. It's not surprising that I have been a losing player all of that time either.

My new no limit heads up strategy is to grind grind grind. I am playing tightish-passive (i.e., tight for heads up) without the button and tightish-aggressive with the button. Most of my matches have been very long, allowing to out-patience my opponent. Most of them, I think, are recreational players who have no desire to grind through a 30 or 40 minute heads up match. After awhile, they start making mistakes and I have a big edge.

In other news... I haven't golfed much lately; I cut my foot open a few weeks ago and walking has been difficult.

I haven't fished much either -- it's the dog days of summer here and the fish in the lakes are pretty lethargic. I usually fish the rivers this time of year, except that: (1) I've been too busy traveling lately, and (2) the I-35W bridge collapsed just upstream of my favorite spot on the Mississippi River. I doubt that security will let me through and I am way too creeped out about the prospect of seeing a dead body. I watched a news report yesterday saying that they had found the car of a "missing person" but that there was no body in the car. That corpse, my friends, is undoubtedly drifting downstream, where it will likely be found by a fisherman. I don't want that fisherman to be me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home