Friday, June 01, 2007

I'm Back: Fishing and Poker Update

After a considerable hiatus, I've decided to re-start this blog. Hopefully, I've lost virtually all of my audience... and not because I didn't like having an audience, but because I felt compelled to keep writing blog entry after blog entry simply because I had an audience.

So what have I been up to? The typical... work... family... a little poker. When Neteller went busto, I had little bits of money in a few sites, but I had very little interest in playing solid poker. I eventually went busto at all of the sites, in part because I simply did not care.

Anyway, last week, I re-deposited $50 at Full Tilt and I worked it up to more than $100 playing mostly heads-up SNGs. I was getting a little cocky with my play, because I was winning probably 75% of these. But, my edge probably wasn't as good as I thought, and I had a downswing that was only partly caused by tilt. Seriously, I played reasonably well and I still kept losing. Oh well. It didn't help that my opponents would make ridiculous calls. The worst was last night when I held 2s 3s and the flop came Js 5c 4s (a great flop for me). This was a turbo SNG and the blinds were starting to build, so I pushed all-in ($1000 into a pot of $600 or so). I was not surprised when my opponent called, but the fact that he called with K-high! Sadly, I missed all 3-billion of my outs twice (4 aces, four sixes, 3 threes, 3 twos, and 7 other spades) and he won.

As of yesterday, I had only $50 in my FTP account. It was at this time that I decided to switch from playing primarily no limit hold'em to HORSE, which I think that I can play really really well heads-up. So far, I am winning 100% of these, and I've re-built up to $60 or so. Nothing big, but it's a start. The good news is that I am having fun playing cards again and I am playing well. I feel like I can rebuild myself a bankroll if I can only catch a break or two.

In other news, the wife and I bought a fishing/skiing boat this spring and I have been fishing quite a bit more. I played hooky yesterday afternoon and I went out on Turtle Lake in Shoreview. We explored north end of the lake a little bit (I only know the south of the lake), but eventually came back to some of my known fishing spots on the south end. I was casting an ultra-light crankbait and Ken was throwing a double-bladed spinner bait (willow leaf + colorado) and we did pretty well. We caught about 25 fish, about 1/3 northerns and 2/3 largemouth bass. At least two of the largemouth exceeded three pounds (fun on ultralight tackle), which is a big improvement to the quality of the bass that were in the lake five years ago. Evidently, the new rule for catch-and-release only on the bass has been working.

Next week, I am going to the BWCAW for work, but I plan to get some fishing in too. The week after that, my folks are coming to town and Kelly and I plan on trying out Mille Lacs. That should be a real treat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home