Monday, June 20, 2005

A little bit more detail

With all of the traveling that I have been doing, I have not posted a legitimate blog in sometime. I haven't played much poker either.

Anyway, I have five free minutes at work, so I thought it would be a good idea to write down my current poker thoughts.

My game is somewhere between excellent and awful, although I think it is becoming more and more excellent. I am definitely doing a better job of picking my spots preflop, but that is no big deal. My post-flop play still leaves a little to be desired, but I am getting there. My problem is that I keep trying to run-over bad players who simply will not fold. The obvious solution is to check and fold more, rather than betting and raising when I do not have a hand. Normally, people would say to bet more when I flop a good hand, but that really isn't possible. I slow play virtually nothing -- I figure that if I bet the nuts aggressively, the donkeys assume that I am bluffing since "everyone" slow plays the nuts. You'd be surprised at how well this works.

I did have a few key hands recently. The first I was in the cutoff with QTs. I raised preflop, trying to steal the blinds. The big blind re-raised me and I called. The flop came queen-high and I bet it aggressively on both the flop and the turn. The river was a ten, giving me two pair, which is better than an unimproved KK. Oops, I made a bad play at the right time.

The other key hand occurred when I was dealt JJ in mid-position. I raised and three people saw the flop, which was 10-high with a diamond flush draw. The donkey in the big blind check-raised me with just a diamond draw. The hand went three-way to the river and my jacks held up. It turns out that the third person had a diamond-draw also.

In the "bad news" department, I just lost a big hand when I flopped a set of eights against a flush-draw that hit. Sooooo disappointing, even though I played the hand absolutely correctly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home