Saturday, January 09, 2010

Peltier Lake, getting frustrated

I tried Peltier Lake again this morning, hoping that some new lighter line, smaller jigs, and spring bobbers would help me catch light-biting fish. No such luck, though. My major problem, I think, is that I did not find a good spot until the morning bite was almost over.

I arrive around 7am, just as it was starting to get light out. I was marking a few, random, scattered fish but I had troubling getting them to bite. I caught two fish before sunrise, both nice-sized crappies. I didn't feel either bite. The frustrating part is that they were only attracted to my larger glow-bait, which was on the rod without the spring bobber.

Around dawn, the action slowed considerably. I tried to get my camera to work. Although it was operating, it was too dark down my hole and I could not see anything. I eventually decided to move, in fact, simply so that I could play with my camera.

After I moved, I caught a 6-inch bluegill on my new, small jig. I had a bit of fun seeing fish on the camera but little success in attracting them. The live bait didn't seem to do much, but I could get them to at least look at my Ratso. This was the first time all year that the Ratso was attracting fish; perhaps that's related to my down-sizing. Anyhow, I managed to catch another bluegill (7+ inches) and a small perch before the action stopped entirely.

I did waste some more time back at my original hole. I saw a crappie and a northern, but neither was particularly interested in my offering.

In the end, it was a frustrating morning and I'd really like to go back out. Somehow, though, I don't think that will happen again this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home