Friday, December 11, 2009

Ice Fishing Opener

I made it out today for my first day of the ice fishing season. I went to Coon Lake, in part because I have a pretty good knowledge of the lake and its ice. The ice was about 6 inches thick, so I was plenty safe.

In the end, I brought home 17 bluegills (largest = 7 inches, most were 6 inches) and 8 crappies. The early morning bite was not particularly successful, as I had trouble hooking fish for some reason. I started to catch a few more fish around 9am, but then a northern pike moved into the area and that practically killed all action. I say "practically" because I did manage to hook one fish and watch the northern take a shot at him as I was reeling him in. The highlight of the day, though, was the airplane that flew perhaps 50 feet over my portable tent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home