Saturday, September 16, 2006

Last Name: Pidiot, First Name: Stuart

Two nights ago I decided to play at the Poker Room to work on clearing a $50 bonus. I initially had built my stack by $70 or so, but then I donked away a bunch of it to the point where I was stuck about $75. I then made a small comeback, and my bankroll there was $230 (initial deposit = $250).

I started playing heads-up $100 NL and I played well for a little bit, but then I started calling large bets on the river with marginal hands. Logic would suggest that river-bluffs would be common in heads-up poker, but my experience has taught me that large/overly large river bets are usually value bets. In short, I donked off some hard earned cash (well, not hard-earned... I had won it playing poker. Meh).

Because I had been struggling to grind my way back to black, I immediately went on tilt and then got really stupid. I bought into a $200 NL room and I tried to run over the table. It took me precisely three hands to go bust. I raised from the button with JTs; the blind called with KQo. The flop was K T X (rainbow). He checked; I bet; he check-raised; I pushed all-in. He then took a lot of time to ponder his call, eventually clicking "call" and I went bust. He started to type something in the chat (probably about my stupidity), but I left the room immediately.

Suddenly, I am re-living my Hollywood Poker experience (afterall, same network, different channel) where I lost 3-4 times the bonus that I was trying to clear. Anyway, I went to sleep after that, pissed as all hell.

I spent most of yesterday considering my options. What was the best way to clear my $50 without losing even more money? I eventually concluded that playing very tight at $1/$2 full-ring would be the way to go.

I never quite follow my game plan; I actually played one table of $1/$2 and one table of $2/$4. I played rather tight and I played very well. I caught cards like crazy at the $1/$2 table and I won about $70 (in maybe 150 hands).

I also did well at the $2/$4 table, but I didn't catch as many cards. Still, I was +$35 at that table until my AA ran up against a call-station-big-blind with K7o (killer hand) and a flop of K 7 4 (rainbow) . Even so, I finished the table with a small profit and my net win for the session was $79, not including the $50 bonus that I cleared.

In the end, I recovered about half of my losses (the $50 bonus helped), which isn't so bad. I definitely need to consider playing more full-ring limit, especially at Full Contact Poker (same network) where I have a ton of bonus to clear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home