Sunday, September 24, 2006

A good start to my new plan

In my last blog, I had decided to drop down in stakes because several bad sessions had depleted my bankroll. I had decided to play mostly $1/$2 limit hold'em (6-max), although I'll probably play some $50 NL too. I am confident that I can beat both of these games.

My first few sessions since dropping stakes have gone either well or ridiculously well. I had a couple of short sessions at UltimateBet and I am +$20. There is nothing spectacular here, except that I am winning and that is always good.

My most recent session, at Party Poker, was just sick, but in a very good way. It started off terribly. I was overly aggressive at first, losing some money against call stations when I essentially had nothing. This was just stupid, to be honest, because limit poker is designed to benefit the call stations in their never-ending battle against the loose-aggressive types. I then lost a really big pot against another call station who called my raise from the big blind; I had KQ and he had AQ. The flop was queen-high and the betting was capped. The turn was a king and I figured that I had the best hand when he called me (I figured that his call meant that he did not have a set). The river was an unfortunate ace and I lost the pot.

At this point, I was stuck $20 (10 big bets) and feeling annoyed. I calmly reminded myself to play solid poker and that it was only a matter of time before I would grind my way back to winning. I also decided to open a second table, since I had planned on playing just a short time period (~30 minutes).

At that point, I started to get hit with the deck in a major major way. In fact, I quit the second table, after only 35 hands, with more than $170 (my buy-in was $50; +60 big bets). In those 35 hands, I flopped four sets, one was a set over set (i.e., a big pot). I also won another big pot when I flopped bottom two pair against top pair. And finally, I had this gem of a hand:

$1/$2 Texas Hold'em - Sunday, September 24, 22:28:29 ET 2006
Table Wakesetter (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 2: rtgreer ( $53 )
Seat 3: kimmys3 ( $28.25 )
Seat 5: mike_r52 ( $26.25 )
Seat 6: JPRiverman ( $59.57 )
Seat 1: frazwood ( $89 )
Seat 4: gulen ( $50 )
frazwood posts small blind [$0.50].
rtgreer posts big blind [$1].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to frazwood [ 2h Ah ]
kimmys3 calls [$1].
mike_r52 calls [$1].
JPRiverman calls [$1].
frazwood calls [$0.50].
rtgreer checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Kh, 3s, Th ]
frazwood checks.
rtgreer bets [$1].
kimmys3 calls [$1].
mike_r52 calls [$1].
JPRiverman raises [$2].
frazwood calls [$2].
rtgreer calls [$1].
kimmys3 raises [$2].
mike_r52 calls [$2].
JPRiverman raises [$2].
frazwood calls [$2].
rtgreer calls [$2].
kimmys3 calls [$1].
mike_r52 calls [$1].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 4s ]
frazwood checks.
rtgreer checks.
kimmys3 checks.
mike_r52 checks.
JPRiverman checks.
** Dealing River ** [ 5h ]
frazwood bets [$2].
rtgreer folds.
kimmys3 raises [$4].
mike_r52 raises [$6].
JPRiverman raises [$8].
frazwood: are you guys nuts or what?
frazwood calls [$6].
kimmys3 calls [$4].
mike_r52 calls [$2].
JPRiverman shows [ 6h, 4h ] a flush, king high.
frazwood shows [ 2h, Ah ] a flush, ace high.
kimmys3 doesn't show [ Kd, 5s ] two pairs, kings and fives.
mike_r52 doesn't show [ 3h, 7h ] a flush, king high.
frazwood wins $56 from the main pot with a flush, ace high with ace kicker.

While playing the hand, the betting pattern on this hand made no sense to me at all. I couldn't figure out how a flop could get four-bet in four spots and then have the turn get checked around. I was further perplexed when I bet out with the nuts on the river, only to have it raised and re-raised before it came back around to me (check out my comment during the hand). After seeing the hand history and the mucked cards, the betting pattern seemed to make a little bit more sense in that three of us had flushes.

My current plan is to rebuild my bankroll $100 at a time, cashing out every-other $100 that I win. I'm sure that this is confusing, so let me explain. I started with $600 in my Party Poker account. I'm going to play until I get to $700, and then I'll cash out $100. After that I play until I build to $800, and then I cash out another $100. I hope this plan works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home