Sunday, September 24, 2006

Notre Dame Football and Dropping Stakes

When I first started this blog, I planned on writing about three of my favorite topics: poker, fishing, and Notre Dame football. For better or for worse, I have written almost entirely about poker. In this blog, however, I am going to talk about all three.

I just finished watching Notre Dame beat Michigan State in what was an entirely entertaining football game (ND: 40; MSU: 37). It was high-scoring; it had a bunch of fantastic plays; and much of it was played in a driving rain storm (always fun to watch). I must admit Notre Dame was incredibly lucky to win the game, especially after getting behind 17-0 in the first quarter, but for everyone who hates Notre Dame football... well, let's just say that I'm smiling... I'll keep this polite.

The fishing report is quite depressing. We are rapidly approaching winter here in Minnesota (yes, summer just officially ended last week), so I am anxious to get in a little bit of fishing before it gets too cold. Unfortunately, the weather has been horrible the last two weekends, so I have not gone fishing once.

Moving on to poker, I have decided to start new poker tracker databases. Perhaps I'll write a blog detailing my old poker tracker stats, but my databases were getting huge (they're over a year old) and so they were operating somewhat slowly. Besides, my game has changed a lot over the last year or so, so I'd like to focus more on my recent play compared to my historical play.

When I changed my first database (I play on three computers, two with PT), I immediately donked away $150 playing $50 NL. I shouldn't really say "donked away" or maybe I shouldn't say $150. I certainly donked away $100. I lost the other $50 when I pushed all-in on a flop of Qs 9d 8c (rainbow); I held held J T. My opponent called with AdKd and caught runner-runner diamonds to win the pot. Sadly, that hand is typical of how I have been runnning lately.

Today, in fact, I lost almost $400 playing $5/$10 limit (6-max) despite the fact that I played rather well. The cards just wouldn't cooperate. For example, I lost a huge pot ($250) on the river when I held KcQc and the flop came with three clubs. Sadly, a fourth club came on the river and a serious donkey won the hand with AcJs. And when I say donkey, I mean his VP$IP was 97% after 70 hands. I've never seen a VP$IP that high, at any stakes.

After losing that much money (and I've been on a downward trend anyway), I no longer have the money to play $100 NL or $5/$10 limit. So, I need to drop down in stakes. My current plan is to play $1/$2 limit (6-max) for awhile. I might also try bonus whoring a bit; I really don't know.

The one positive in my poker game right now is UltimateBet. Several months ago, I made a small deposit and managed to win about $20 before cashing out my original deposit. Since then, I have slowly increased my stack until now, where it is just under $240. I have been playing a lot of $1/$2 limit (6-max) and I have been doing well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home